What I am learning to grow my photography business?

Hello beautiful friends,

Did I mention that I am building my photography business on the side? Well, to be honest right now it is everything for me. The whole month of July I have been learning and self teaching myself on how to take off for my side hustle. Below is what I have learnt so far and want to share with you:

First things first, start before you are ready; "Get out there and get dirty" is what my mentor J* has taught me. I am joining a local community to take their pictures; I have been the photographer of my complex for the annual pool party just last Saturday. It was so much fun and met much more people when I am over on my camera than just attend as a guest. Trust me, with the camera is still hard; but people trust you more when you have that on, so they open up to you or at least pose for your camera. So let me tell ya, I will do it again. The most important step here is to figure out who are your ideal clients and picture them all the way through so that you build your brand around them.

Second is to find or create a peer referral group. Find people who are in the same stages as you and back them up. This will help you too one day. For example, if I ever need a second photographer I can refer back to my peer group and just work with one of them.

Third, hone in on your unique view of the world and market. At the first stages of the business, in particular, when you don't have a large portfolio you can use this liability to your asset. 'I don't have a lot of work to show you but I have a fresh eye and am more creative.'

Forth, share your knowledge. This was exactly the motivation I am writing this blog here. "trust is the new currency of the web". I am going to write daily whatever I have learnt, mostly toward building my photography business or anything related to photography. To have a successful business in this saturated market, one should build relationships with others. What's the best way other than being generous on what you know? As the old saying goes: Sharing is Caring, right?

Fifth, show up everyday and use all the post as a gateway to connect with a potential client, a follower or friends. Showing up isn't easy and is slightly uncomfortable. But to have the results you are looking for we need to get out of our comfort zone on a regular basis.

Last but no least, don't take no for an answer, be willing to be the underdog for a while and expect rejections.

With Love,
Ellie


Photographer: Elnaz Shokrollahi
Location: Jamaica, 2015

Comments

Popular Posts